The spices in this dish are the heroes. Dont skimp and try to freshly grind them if you can.
Great for using up leftover roast meat or utilising mince. This feeds alot of people, double the ingredients and easily feed a party.
From a yoga perspective it has more vegetable content than meat so it is quite balanced. However it will be really yummy without the meat!
300g lamb/goat mince or chopped left-over roast
1-2cups white (I use basmati for its higher GI) rice
400g cooked lentils, canned or simmer dry brown or french lentils with garlic, half an onion and cinnamon stick for 10-15 mins till tender
3 red or brown onions caramelised: slice and fry in olive oil or butter and 1-2 tablespoons of butter for 1/2 hour on medium, add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar/honey and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and fry for 10 mins till reduced.
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup chopped, roasted almonds and/or cashews
1-2 cups stock
1 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice, and cumin
S & P
1. If using mince fry in olive oil till brown and finely broken up
2. Add garlic and spices fry for 1-2 mins
3. Stir in rice and fry for 2 mins
4. Add stock, cook covered on low heat for 10-15 mins and rice is tender.
5. Add onions, lentils, nuts, S & P. Stir well.
6. Garnish with parsley and/or coriander.